California is calling for project proposals that would be financed in part by $1.2 billion the state has allocated for supply chain infrastructure improvements. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order a year ago vowing to address the crippling congestion at the state’s ports, particularly Los Angeles and Long Beach. 70 percent of the funding for the new Port and Freight Infrastructure Program will support projects to help move goods through Los Angeles-Long Beach, with the other 30 percent earmarked for elsewhere in the state. Project applications are due Jan. 13, with the winning projects to be announced in March.