Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (WCMRC) is a Transport Canada certified Response Organization, whose mandate is to ensure there is a state of preparedness in place and to mitigate the impact when an oil spill occurs. This includes the protection of wildlife, economic and environmental sensitivities, and the safety of both the responders and the public.
WCMRC is recruiting for a Full Time Spill Response Technician 4th/3rd Class Marine Engineer to join our operations team, located in Victoria, B.C.
Please note: in Spring 2022, this role will move to Beecher Bay, BC.
Our operations team is comprised of professionals with diverse skills and experience. Their ability to effectively manage and direct spill response procedures within the first few hours after response activation significantly reduces the negative impacts oil can have on the surrounding environment.
The specific responsibilities for this position include:
• Provide safe, prompt, and efficient support for vessel operations, spill incidents, exercises, and preparedness.
• Maintain spill response equipment to ensure it is always operational and response ready.
• Responsible for all mechanical systems on the inspected vessel fleet.
• Take part in haul-outs, refits, and shipyard periods.
• When operating at sea, they are expected to monitor all systems, ensure performance to spec, and to make at sea repairs or mitigate damage.
• Ensure that all activities are carried out with due regard to personal safety, the safety of others, and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
• Accountable to engineering management for technical performance and mentorship.
• Complete all assigned monthly work orders on time.
• Support vessel dry docking and assist with Transport Canada Vessel Inspections.
• Provide training to new hires/ casuals/ contractors.
• Work on project teams; build committees, shipyard visits, SME provision to committees.
The candidate will possess a 4th or 3rd Class Marine Engineer certificate issued by Transport Canada, and hold a valid Seafarers Medical. Must be capable of lifting and carrying up to 22 Kgs on a regular basis, be willing and able to work outdoors under inclement weather and hold a valid Class 5 driver’s license in good standing. You will also need to be a collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people on multiple projects, and who is able to manage shifting priorities.
Working at WCMRC offers a fulfilling marine career with the benefit of going home to your family at the end of your work day, allowing for a more enjoyable work-life balance. We also offer a competitive compensation package including health benefits and pension to the successful candidate.
WCMRC values open and honest communication that fosters a climate of trust, integrity in all our business practices, success through competency, creativity and teamwork, and being a steward of the environment. We believe that putting our values into practice creates long-term benefits for our employees, shareholders, stakeholders, suppliers and the communities we serve.
If you share our company values and believe that you have the necessary knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to succeed in this position, then we would like to hear from you. To apply, please visit our careers site to submit a cover letter and detailed resume. http://wcmrc.com/news/careers/full-time-spill-response-technician-4th-3rd-class-marine-engineer/
We thank you in advance for your response and regret that only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To find out more about us, visit our website at www.wcmrc.com.