Apply your leadership skills in a next-level opportunity!
The BCMEA is hiring a Director of Safety to join our growing team. This is your chance to make an impact and leverage your experience on an industry level.
Safety and people are your passions. You are a recognized leader when it comes to all things safety because you bring in-depth expertise as well as a true understanding of why safety matters in an industrial work setting. You are a relationship-builder, being able to influence high level change and processes across diverse stakeholder groups. Lastly, you are a seasoned professional who has experience providing strategic leadership in identifying and implementing industry health and safety initiatives, standards and programs.
What You Will Do
Reporting to the VP, Operations, you will play a crucial role in developing and implementing strategies to achieve the BCMEA customer member’s visions for health and safety on the waterfront. You will develop relationship with stakeholders and regulators. You will act as a resource to the industry on all health and safety matters, providing up-to-date information on legislative and regulatory requirements for health and safety in the workplace, and provide input to the various regulatory agencies, directly or through organizations such as the Business Council of BC and FETCO, relative to regulatory reviews and amendments.
- Provides proactive leadership and assists employers to develop and establish effective safety management and auditing systems.
- Serves as a resource, educates and provides training to the industry on health and safety matters.
- Provides mentoring, advice and training on all facets of accident prevention, accident investigation and claims management.
- Researches, provides advice and guidance, develops and implements policies, procedures and training curriculums in consultation with employers and the Union to educate waterfront workers on hazards and waterfront safety compliance.
- Develops, co-chairs and participates in high-performance committees, addressing complaints and resolving issues related to staff.
- Represents employers and consults with the industry through participation on committees and events.
- Represents BCMEA in regulatory review sub-committees and various stakeholder groups.
- Remains current on safety regulations, keeping management and employers advised of new or revised regulations and their projected impact.
- Review proposed legislative and regulatory changes that may have an impact on the industry Ensures safety & health training meets the needs of internal and external requirements, including staff receiving necessary safety training to safely perform tasks and jobs.
- Develops annual plans and budgets for safety & health initiatives.
- Maintain communication with other departments in the BCMEA and keep staff apprised of all health & safety developments within and outside the industry.
What You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational health & safety, safety management, or related field.
- 5 to 8 years related experience, including extensive management/leadership experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement effective health and safety programs within a unionized environment.
- Strong customer service orientation and the ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce across multiple organizational levels.
- Advanced understanding of safety management systems.
- Applied understanding of adult education theory and curriculum development.
- Effective communicator and strong interpersonal skills, generating written material and delivering effective presentations.
- Professional designations such as Canadian Registered Safety Professional or Canadian Human Resource Professional is an asset.
- Previous health and safety auditing experience is an asset.
What’s In It for You
In addition to getting great industry experience, you will receive
- Competitive base salary
- Bonus play
- Vacation Pay
- Access to our benefits program
- And more!
About The BCMEA
The BCMEA represents approximately 53 waterfront employers and, by extension, the more than 6,000 men and women who work for them. Our customer- members are ship owners and agents, stevedores, container and cruise ship terminal operators. We help optimize our members’ operations by adding our expertise in labour relations, safety & training, and recruiting.
BCMEA member companies are a vital part of the BC economy and a mainstay of the coastal community. Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, our partners move 60 million tonnes of goods worth $53 billion around the globe every year. If you’ve got it, we helped you get it.