The Pacific Pilotage Authority (“the Authority”) is a federal Crown corporation whose mandate is to administer a safe, efficient, and cost-effective marine pilotage service in the waters of Western Canada. The BC Coast Pilots (BCCP) are mandated to board and guide any foreign ship coming in or out of BC’s ports for safety, efficiency, and environmental protection. Both organizations have an unparalleled commitment to operational excellence, safety, and environmental stewardship and have partnered together in establishing a leading-edge technology center that will enhance the ongoing training of all Pilots.
The Pilotage Simulator for Training and Research (“PSTAR”) center located in downtown Vancouver is an ultra-modern ship and docking tug simulation center utilizing three individual bridges running the latest Kongsberg K-SIM Navigation software. The K-SIM software integrates a sophisticated physics engine, which in addition to offering advanced hydrodynamic modeling, allows vessels, objects, and equipment to behave and interact realistically, significantly improving the quality of training and port studies. In order to maximize the potential of the PSTAR center, the PPA and BCCP are looking for a proactive, hands-on leader who thrives in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of PSTAR facility
- Provide on-site support for pilot training and assessments
- Maintain and deploy software databases, including ship models, area databases, and environmental areas
- Schedules PSTAR use in collaboration with the PPA and the BCCP
- Maintain records on system use, deficiencies noted, and corrective action taken
- Manages the development of database improvements under direction of Management Committee
- Coordinate with Kongsberg on execution of LTSSP
- Assist with creation and execution of navigational risk assessments
- Manage and maintain PSTAR facility
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in a relevant field or equivalent combination of educational background and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience from technical service and or technical Project deliveries of real time systems
- Have an understanding of K-SIM Navigation software (Level 1 and 2)
- Proven technical skills in MS client server environment and hardware service.
- Understanding real-time system complexity and vulnerability
- The following items are considered strong assets:
- Experience in the simulation industry
- Familiarity with marine and/or military maritime systems and navigation terminology
- Understanding of object-oriented programming language (example: Python)
- A navigational Certificate of Competency
- A good system engineering and/or technical background within a software development environment
- Is self-motivated, self-sufficient and resourceful
- Is an expert with respect to collaboration and teamwork
- Team player, sharing knowledge and the ability to follow best practice and procedures
- Proven interpersonal skills coupled with excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, displays critical/creative thinking
- Ability to deliver constructive feedback with a high degree of tact
- Strives for personal and organizational excellence
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses and demonstrates high level of self-awareness
- Advocates for the organization’s goals, values and policies
- Strives for continuous improvement and actively solicits customer feedback to improve service
- Consistently able to anticipate and provide responses to information, services and assistance requests
- Excellent prioritization and planning of running PSTAR
- Proactive and positive in formulating and presenting recommendations for improvements
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with management committee, pilots, proponents, and customers
- Ability to work and adapt own work procedures in a digital environment
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits.