The Certispec Group of companies offer independent marine and cargo surveying, inspection, sampling, and laboratory testing services in a timely and unbiased manner throughout Canada and other parts of the globe.
Certispec is currently looking for an energetic, bright, enthusiastic, and self-motivated inspector to inspect and quantify the movement of petroleum commodities in and out of the Port of Vancouver on a full-time basis. This is an ideal job for someone looking for a career in the mining, resources, oil and gas, and petrochemicals industry.
Petroleum Quality Control Technician (NOC 2211)
Company: Certispec Services Inc
Location: Burnaby B.C.
Terms of Employment: Full Time / Permanent
The petroleum quality control inspector will be responsible for providing technical support services for the petroleum industry. The Inspector will perform quantity determination and sampling of ships, shore tanks, meters, rail cars, trucks and pipeline transfers of Petroleum products, Petrochemical products, and may include the inspection and sampling of other commodities such as Vegetable Oil, Potash, Coal, Sulphur and others as required. Your employment will take place at both our Burnaby laboratory/office facility as well as offsite at other locations throughout the port of Vancouver.
• Compile, record, and interpret volumetric calculations.
• Learn all available API, ASTM, and applicable procedures and manuals related to accurate and representative sampling, and quantifying cargo transfers.
• Assist and follow instructions from Senior Surveyors, Inspectors and Managers, with regards to Sampling, Inspection, Gauging, Maintenance, and Calibration duties.
• Assist in developing and conducting programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards.
• Assist in setting up and conducting chemical experiments, tests and analyses.
• conduct programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards of petroleum cargoes, chemical additives and products.
• Assist in the inspection, maintenance, and calibration of inspection and lab equipment where required.
• Physically sample, measure (gauge), calculate volume, and take the temperatures of vessel’s tanks, trucks, railcars and shore tanks using a variety of methods required by the company and/or client API and ASTM procedures.
• Issue accurate inspection documents at shore terminals or on-board vessels including but not limited to documenting sample identification tags, sample logs, ullage reports, gauge tickets, and time logs.
• Transport and deliver samples to end users such as laboratories and terminal contacts.
• Perform report writing, report distribution and data entry.
• Take instructions from the Senior Inspector or Laboratory Supervisor regarding preparation of sample containers, tracking and disposing samples, and replenishing supplies with new/clean bottles.
• Maintain a clean workstation, sampling and gauging equipment, company vehicle, equipment area, clothing area, and inspection office.
• Follow company procedures for process and safety while performing functions of the position. Participate as required in health and safety training, contribute to OHS committees and other programs as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• A desire to learn and work in the petroleum/marine industry, with an emphasis on quantity and quality inspections of custody transfers.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Strong mathematical aptitude.
• Previous experience in a petroleum related field is an asset.
• Must be meticulous and punctual in duties associated with petroleum gauging and sampling.
• Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
• Candidates must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.).
• Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition. Fluent in English.
• Ability to work well with others & independently.
• Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Works well under pressure.
• Extended hours may be required from time to time.
• Must be able to work odd hours around shipping schedules (days, nights, weekends, and holidays). Available to be on call 24/7.
• Out of town travel may be required from time to time.
• Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety Policy, Compliance Code, and Professional Conduct policies.
• Post-Secondary Education in Petroleum, Chemical, or Mining Engineering required
• Strong knowledge and experience working with ISO 9001 and 17025 Quality Control standards.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience with Inspection of Petroleum, Petrochemical Commodities.
• Valid B.C. Class 5 Drivers license.
• Ability to lift up to 20kg (50lbs)
• Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
• Ability to stand/walk/sit for long periods of times (up to 12 hours)
• Ability to climb stairs
• Manual dexterity for repetitive tasks (computer keyboard, mouse, writing)
Benefits and Wage (on successful completion of probationary period)
• Position classification: Full time Permanent
• Mobile phone allowance
• Medical and Dental benefits
• Participation in the companies Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
• Wage- Paid hourly at $26.50 per hour.