Registration FAQs

Spill Response Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is WCMRC?

Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (WCMRC) is the Transport Canada-certified marine spill response organization for Canada’s West Coast. The organization’s mandate under the Canada Shipping Act is to be prepared to respond to marine oil spills along all 27,000 km of British Columbia’s coastline, and to mitigate the impact when a spill occurs. This includes the protection of wildlife, economic and environmental sensitivities, and the safety of both the responders and the public.

2. Which vessels are required to register?

The following classes of vessels are required to register through the WCMRC:

> Oil tankers of 150 gross tonnage or more;
> Vessels of 400 gross tonnage or more that also carry oil as cargo or as fuel;
> Groups of vessels that are towed, pushed, and are of 150 gross tonnage or more in aggregate and carry oil as cargo. According to ERAR, these vessels are considered one unit.

The following vessels are not required to register through the WCMRC

> Foreign vessels that are only transiting in the territorial sea of Canada or the exclusive economic zone of Canada and are not engaged in the loading or unloading of oil during transit;
> Pleasure craft;
> Government vessels, naval auxiliary vessels or vessels owned or operated by a foreign state and used only on government non-commercial service.

3. In what region is registration required?

Registration is required for all 27,000 km of British Columbia’s coastline. The Act does not apply to waters north of latitude 60° N.

4. Where do I email the signed forms?

Completed forms can be emailed to Chamber of Shipping at:

5. Do I need to fill out the SCHEDULE A form?

Schedule A is part of the registration contract. Different vessels under the same ownership have the option of submitting separate contracts for each vessel or including multiple vessels on the same contract by adding them to the Schedule A form, if applicable.

6. What is the SCHEDULE I form and why is it needed?

SCHEDULE I, is “Satisfactory Evidence of Non-Residence” form which relates to the Vessel Owner. The form is required for vessels whose owner does not reside in Canada, for GST Exemption. It must be submitted with each vessel enrollment.

7. Do I require a Juan de Fuca agreement if I already have a full valid WCMRC agreement?

No, you do not need both. It is the same Geographical Area of Response

8. Is there a fee for the Juan de Fuca agreement?

There is no fee, it is a reciprocal agreement with a separate form.

9. What happens to a valid contract when vessel is sold?

Kindly advise us if the vessel has sold. The contract would be void and cancelled and the new owner will need to apply and pay for a new contract as required.

10. What happens if only the Ship Management Company changes on a valid contract, or a Vessel changes its name?

The existing contract can be updated with the new ship management company details or new vessel name.

11. How long is a contract valid?

Once the contract is submitted, the vessel is enrolled for a period of 12 months.

12. What coverage exists for a vessel North of the 60th Parallel?

The Canadian Coast Guard manages spill response north of the 60th parallel. More information on their services can be found here:

13. When paying by wire transfer, what info do I need to include?

The vessel’s name or the invoice number.

14. What do all the Acronyms mean?

WCMRC – Western Canada Marine Response Corporation
JDF – Juan de Fuca
BCO – Burrard Clean Organizaton (no longer used, changed to WCMRC, to encompass the B.C. Coastline)
OSRO – Oilspill Response Organization
OSRA – Oilspill Response Arrangement
QI – Qualified Individual, which is a term used in the United States only.
VRP – Vessel Response Plan
IMO Number – International Maritime Organizaton number.

7 digit vessel identification number – All vessels will have this number and can identify the ship even if here is a vessel name
change. All contracts must include this IMO number.

For more information on how to register a vessel, visit our Vessel Registration Procedures page.