Shipowners react to sweeping EU carbon emissions plan

Chamber of Shipping > Blog > News > International > Shipowners react to sweeping EU carbon emissions plan

Shipowners’ industry groups are raising concerns about the new European “Fit for 55” decarbonization plan, which will impose Europe’s Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) on vessel emissions for the first time. The measure covers all intra-EU voyages and 50 per cent of the emissions of each voyage to and from European ports.  “Other than as an ideological revenue raising exercise, which will greatly upset the EU’s trading partners, it’s difficult to see what extending the EU ETS to shipping will achieve towards reducing CO2, particularly as the proposal only covers about 7.5 per cent of shipping’s global emissions,” said Guy Platten, the secretary general of the International Chamber of Shipping. “This could seriously put back climate negotiations for the remaining 92.5 per cent of shipping emissions.” Read the full story from Maritime Executive here.

Related Posts